Announcement

Collapse

How do you browse the forum?

Help us improve your experience by taking a short one-question survey. Click here to begin.
See more
See less

What was the last film you watched?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched Ghostbusters 2 on the TV this evening.

For forum support, please contact
    tetsumonchi@gmail.com
    You can add me on Facebook as well
    http://www.facebook.com/Tetsumonchi

Comment

• A few good men

Comment

• Watched Hypernormalization last night. Not sure if it counts as a "film" but oh well!

tetsumonchi@gmail.com

Comment

• From 1964, Madhabi Mukherjee plays Charulata, a neglected housewife who finds friendship and a freedom to express herself when Soumitra Chatterjee comes along. He gets too close to her in this Bengali film ("Bollywood" is Hindi-language Indian cinema; there are many ethnic-linguistic cinemas in India, including Bengali) in this film directed by India's Satyajit Ray:

I've also been watching a lot of stop-motion animated shorts as well from the 1930s-40s. Specifically, George Pal's Puppetoons (which were released by Paramount, and more popular in Europe than in the USA). From 1987, a compilation of these Puppetoons... The Puppetoon Movie:

Of all the Puppetoons featured... my favorite was Tubby the Tuba​ (1947; best of luck trying to find it online) and another one of my personal favorites is Tulips Shall Grow (1942), which you can see here:

Comment

• It's a week from Halloween! Up first, from 1960, Nobuo Nokugawa takes us to Jigoku ("hell" in Japanese). When two college students accidentally kill a drunken yakuza with a car... well, just know that there's death in here. Way too much of it for my tastes and for any plot that makes sense. Nakagawa is considered a founding father of J-horror films and this is his most influential film:

Next, from 1972, a blaxploitation film (a subgenre of exploitation film that allowed more representation for African-Americans in Hollywood and catered to black audiences, but oftentimes reinforced damaging stereotypes)... After meeting Dracula while petitioning the Transylvanian count for support to stop the slave trade, an African prince (William Marshall) is bitten, and the most famous vampire of all time christens his new acolyte as Blacula:

Comment

• Down By Law.

Re-watching Jim Jarmusch movies on Amazon prime. Stranger Than Paradise up next.

Comment

• The Plague Dogs.

Not seen it since my dad rented it out the video shop in the '80s.

Good fun, better than Watership Down. All it lacks is Art Garfunkelz.

*Edited post.
                Last edited by Mozoid; 01-11-17, 10:01 PM. Reason: Editing

Comment

• Watching leg end with Tim Curry. Tom cruise and the bird from Ferris bueller are chasing unicorns. I have the sound off and am listening to prince singing 'when doves cry'.

Comment

• the_wolfman.jpg

tetsumonchi@gmail.com

Comment

• Comment

• The 9th Life of Louis Drax

​When it first started playing I was not sure if I was going to like this movie......but it was interesting if not a bit strange.

Comment

• The first film of a trilogy that is now a Christmas classic in Germany and Austria, Romy Schneider (in a star-making role) plays Princess Elizabeth "Sissi" of Austria. Sissi (1955, Austria) concentrates on her courtship with the young Austrian Emperor Franz Joseph. It's a beautiful movie, as if you mixed up the humor of an older Disney live-action film (minus some juvenile material), the opulence of Old Hollywood, and the need for post-WWII escapism (unlike what Italian and Swedish cinema was doing at the time). Currently on the second film:

sissi-movie-poster-1955-1020459899.jpg

Oh man. Oh man. I was expecting Batman v Superman or Suicide Squad levels of disaster, but Zack Snyder/Joss Whedon's Justice League was not the failure I was expecting. But it's not a great movie either, as it has a Batman and a much worse Superman problem that was created because of Snyder's dumb writing in previous films. Wonder Woman is objectified a few times - be warned. Having written themselves into a hole, it's amazing that they were able to salvage this... a little.

largeposter.jpg

Comment

• Irish animation studio Cartoon Saloon (2009's The Secret of Kells, 2014's Song of the Sea) gets out of Ireland for the their feature, directed by Nora Twomey. It is the weeks before the US invasion of Afghanistan. After her father is arrested by the Taliban, Parvana must dress like a boy and become The Breadwinner (2017).

Up in the Grand Tetons, Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Hara are at the head of the Spencer family in this episodic film taking place near Spencer's Mountain (1963). Delmer Daves directs; James MacArthur is in this, as is Donald Crisp in his final movie:

As Lady Bird (2017), Saoirse Ronan is a rebellious high school senior in early 2000s Sacramento, California whose relationship with her family is strained, her attitude towards her hometown and private Catholic school negative. Directed by Greta Gerwig, it is the best movie I have seen in a theater released this calendar year.

You may have also heard that the above movie recently became the best-reviewed film of all time on Rotten Tomatoes. It definitely is a great movie, but don't let RT's strange system tell you it's the best film of all time (there's a lot of older movies with far fewer reviews that maintain a 100% rating).

Comment

• Rare occasion for me; I watched two movies in one day...
                              But, my internet provider gave me free access to HBO Nordic library for a year, because I updated my contract, so I'm trying to use it at least a bit...

Comment

• Comment

• Logan. A touching road movie about family bonding and decapitations.

Comment

• Batman watches tv.

Awesome.

Last one I watched was Putin’s revenge. Sci fi at its finest.

Comment

• Mindhorn, semi autobiographical.

Comment

• Coco, a very good new Pixar/Disney film. I completely recommend it 9/10
                                        My Miniclip channel http://www.youtube.com/user/roberto97spain

Comment

• Originally posted by Tetsumonchi View Post
                                          Watched Ghostbusters 2 on the TV this evening.
                                          Was it any good? Or should I just rewatch the original?

Comment

Working...
                                          X