Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Stich In Time (Chapter 2) - Cage Rage

WARNING:

This is a chapter from a book I am writing and these stories areCOPYWRITEN! If I find out these are being posted ANYWHERE else or if someone tries to steal them I will have you prosecuted without mercy and the fines for infringement are very steep. I take this very seriously and these laws are not limited to one country.

A Stitch in Time

Chapter 2

Cage Rage

All the events I saw in the 1950s and and 1960s was exactly how they are described in the history books I read as a child but it just accrued to me this very second....I single-handedly stopped Doomsday. I notice Helo starring at me through the bars.

Helo: You know, your pretty popular around here.

Spike: Yea that's what that blonde haired * Censored * said.

Helo: It's serious. Half the people on this ship think keeping you around is a bad idea. That you will jeopardize our mission.

Spike: What exactly is your mission?

Helo: It's not my place to share that information.

The doors of the brig open and in walk four men. I finally have some visitors. Trouble is... I know who two of these men are and none of them look very happy.

Parker: Remember us * Censored *

Spike: I remember two of you. Last time I saw you guys you were face down on the floor.

Parker: Today we're gonna introduce you to a couple of our friends.

Helo: What the * censored* is going on, Parker?

Parker: Are you in or out, Helo?!

Helo: What? !

Parker nods at one of his friends.

Parker: Open the door Oran.

My cell door begins to slide open. The dimensions of the door frame act as a bottle neck so only one man can enter at a time. I begin to use all the strength and technique to bust passed him. They all tried to grab me but I was able to escape the cage using my momentum and force. That was the easy part. Now I need to fight four men on my own. Oran and Parker are the first ones to rush me. They each go to throw a punch and I duck down before I ram my knee into Oran stomach. I hit Parker with a backfist sending him flying over the desk. The other two men extended batons and swing at me. I block one with my forearms but the other hits me in my ribs. I elbow the first man in the nose and took his baton. Helo stands there in confusion. I don't blame him. At least he wasn't beating on me.

I hit the second man in the knee with the baton and he collapsed on the floor. Oran pulls out his baton now. He swings it at me and I block it with mine. He swings again and I knock the baton out of his hand before kicking him in his chest. He flies backward into Parker and they both lose their footing. One of the other men hits me in the back of the head with the baton and I fall into the side of the cell. Stargate has been keeping an eye on the brig's surveillance feeds ever sense I got here. She informs the captain that I'm being attacked. Parker and Oran hold my arms against the cage while the other two start punching me in my chest and stomach. I push them off with my legs and get one hand free. I struggle with Parker and Oran while the other two men both hit me with batons. I hit the floor and Parker gets on top of me. He starts smashing his fist into my face as I try to cover up. Helo pulls out his weapon and shouts “ Stop!” the men ignore him and he shoots all four men with his laser beam weapon.

Helo: Are you okay?

Spike: Did you kill them?

Helo: No. Weapons can be set to stun or kill a target.

Spike: That's handy.

I pick myself up and walk back to my cell. I close the door and lay down on the bed. Captain Koro and Marks rush through the door accompanied by Alora and a few others.

Captain Koro: What the hell happened here?!

Helo: Sir, They attacked Spike. They were gonna hurt him bad.

Spike: You didn't kill me but you damn sure don't seem to care about my safety...

The captain pulls out a device that resembles a smartphone. It's called a holopad and it connects to many different signals and has many different purposes. For example, it acts as a communication device for the crew and also has the capability to connect to a galactic version of the internet. They are also used to access Stargates mainframe and a communication device for the crew. He touches the screen a few times and I hear the sounds of the altercation from the device. Now I see a movie of the events in my mind. As he is finishing watching, the men begin to wake up. Captain Koro instructs Helo to remove the restraints from them. Helo complies.

Captain Koro: Stand up! All of you!

Parker: Sir -

Captain Koro: Be quiet! What the hell were you all thinking? We are not barbarians!

Parker: He shouldn't be here!

Captain Koro: I said shut your mouth! That's not your choice to make. It is mine! I am the captain of this ship! All of you are receiving a pay cut for this job. I never, ever want to see this happen again. Get out of my sight!

All of the crew except for the captain, Marks, and Helo exit the room.

Captain Koro: Spike, I'm sorry. I can assure you this will never happen again. I'll have the doctor come down to look at you.

Spike: I'm fine. I don't need a doctor.

Captain Koro: You took a pretty good beating.

Spike: I don't think I did so bad. I don't need a doctor.

Stargate speaks out over the intercom system.

Stargate: My scans suggest he has no serious injuries despite the altercation.

Captain Koro: Very well. I promise you I will be back to see you later today. I have some matters to attend to first.

Captain Koro turns to Helo.

Captain Koro: Helo, You are getting a bonus.

Captain Koro and Marks leave the brig.

Marks: Captain, I need to speak with you in private.

Captain Koro: Alright. I'm on my way to my office. Walk with me...

Marks and captain Koro walk to the captains office on the bridge.

Captain Koro: Shut the door.

Marks: Sir, I have some concerns about Spike.

Captain Koro: What are those?

Marks: I don't think he belongs on this ship. Nothing about him makes sense. I think he might be a plant.

Captain Koro: How so?

Marks: I don't know...But is it worth the risk? Narco needs the device. This is our chance to finally beat back the forces of the Alliance.

Captain Koro: I wont condemn this man to die before I know for sure he deserves it.

Marks: Sir... A lot of men are unhappy with this. Yours and mine.

Captain Koro: It's not my job to make them happy. They are always unhappy about something, that goes with the territory. I understand you are members of the rebel forces but this is still my ship and you are all sworn to obey me.

Marks: This will continue to become a problem with the crew.

Captain Koro: Then I will take care of it.

Marks: Need I remind you that you need me and the men I bring to operate these lucrative runs?

Captain Koro: Is that a threat?

Marks: Not a threat...

Captain Koro: Good. Anything else on your mind, August?

Marks: No sir...

I sit in my cell waiting for the captain to return. Helo is playing a game of cards. It looks something like solitaire. I begin to think that my third death might be close. The captain seems to have taken pity on me but from what Helo tells me my presence here is really disturbing a lot of people. I don't know what the captain will decide to do with me either. The captain walks in with two other men. He instructs me to follow him to his office on the bridge of the ship. Alora is sitting in the pilot chair. She has two joystick like controls in her hands and she's moving them quickly. There is a massive widow. I don't see space. I see blue blurs as we twist and turn through paths that branch off. It's like we are flying through a wormhole in space. We suddenly exit into what I assume is another star system or galaxy.

Stargate Speaks over the intercom.

Stargate: Captain, we have arrived at Terranas.

Captain Koro: Thank you.

Spike: What was that?

Captain Koro: The void. An artificially generated wormhole through space that we use to travel very long distances.

Spike: Jesus Christ, I'm on the set of the next Star Wars movie...

Captain Koro: Using the void system uses up a massive amount of Stargates stored energy so we use the system sparingly.

Spike: Let me ask you something else...Why do you need a pilot? Can't the ship fly itself?

Stargate again speaks out.

Stargate: Her-Self!

Spike: Sorry Stargate, this is all still new to me

Captain Koro: Stargate has difficulty navigating through the void by herself. The properties of the wormhole play with her systems. Instead of instructing her what to do it's easier to have a pilot. Alora really is the best. Have you any idea how difficult it is to navigate a wormhole? Her reflexes are amazing. Come on, step in my office.

We enter his office and he closes the door. He instructs one of the men, who's name is Derek, to close the door behind him. Captain Koro instructs me to sit down.

Captain Koro: Do you want a drink?

Spike: I don't drink. Captain, what are you going to do with me? Are you going to kill me?

Captain Koro: No, Spike. I will drop you off at the next peaceful planet we come by. I'm doing the best I can to help you and still reassure my crew everything is under control.

Spike: I get it...

Captain Koro: Spike, finish telling me about your first life.

Spike: Okay. After we headed out to find the source of the radio signal, we walked for three days in the woods of Kansas before we made it to the line. I saw a large main road which was in shambles and barley traversable. I also saw a sign that read “Welcome to Colorado”. We were on the right track. I was scared though. We had been in the woods for a month and half and now things are going to get really dangerous. We have to trek through urban environments. There are bound to be a hell of a lot more people than the woods. No one but raiders remain now. Just the bands of ruthless individuals who use violence and force to take whatever they want.

I guided my family to a building close to us. It used to be a large shoe store. I had my family lock themselves in a decent sized rest room so there was some room for them to move. I sneak across the street to an old billboard poll. The type that were high in the air and giant so that cars passing by would see them. I climbed the ladder to the very top. I took out my binoculars and began to scan the area. I saw raiders spread out in certain sections. In my head I was mapping the area and calculating our best route. I returned to the shoe store where I instruct my family to get some sleep. We were to move at nightfall. Night came and we got ready to roll out. I successfully slipped us by all obstacles. In the process I killed a lone raider. He was carrying an AK-47. Of course I picked that up. I checked the magazine and it had a full clip. We continued on stopping and settling in buildings along the way. We only moved at night. We made it to the edge of the city where my compass told me to enter another patch of woods. Gunshots rang out.

I pushed my wife and son out of the way as I took a bullet in my leg. I raised my AK and began to fire. I looked to my wife with sorrow in my eyes.

Spike: You need to run.

Phoenix: No... Not without you

Spike: Take the compass. Get him to Utopia. It's on you now.

Phoenix: Baby no!

Spike: I can't walk. Take the * censored * compass and RUN!

Phoenix: Baby....

Spike: RUN!

Max: Daddy....

Spike: I love you, buddy.

Phoenix: I love you... I love you so much!

Spike: I love you too...NOW RUN!

A tear runs down my face as I'm telling the story. The captain notices.

Spike: She took Max by the hand and they both ran. The gunfire continued as I pulled myself to my feet by holding a branch. I pressed myself against the tree and fired my weapon. I kept the raiders from advancing for a while by using my ammo sparingly. I was buying Phoenix and Max as much time as I could. I took another hit to my arm. With one arm I fired my AK until it was empty. They fired for another few seconds before they realized I was out of ammo. They began to advance again. I pulled out my pistol.and fired. They stopped again and returned fire. I ran out of ammo again so I pulled my knife as they got closer and closer. I jumped from behind the tree and tried to dash for them. They gunned me down before I got close.

I wipe the tear from my face and sigh...

Spike: Captain...What exactly do you all do here?

Captain Koro: Whatever we can. At the moment we are contracted by rebel forces in a system called Terranas. They are led by two men by the names of Tameous and Critias.

Spike: Your crew seem to be militant.

Captain Koro: They are to a certain extent. Most of the crew members are on loan from the rebels. The rebels are trying to smash the hold on the system by the Alliance.

Spike: Who are the Alliance?

Captain Koro: One of two galactic governments that are in control of the known sectors. The Alliance used to be locked in a war with a race called the Shil's. A treaty was created about fifty years ago. Before that Terannas was a very strategic position. Times have changed and attention by both sides have shifted elsewhere in their respective territories. The Alliance is having trouble justifying the funds and resources needed to maintain control of the system. The rebels main planet is damn near impenetrable. The planets weapons systems and defenses are too strong. Thelience tried for years to take the planet. The rebels are beginning to make a good case that withdrawing from the system is in the Alliances best interest.

Spike: So Alliance means bad and rebels mean good?

Captain Koro: Make no mistake, the rebels are not exactly knights in shining armor. We have a mutually beneficial relationship.

The captain and I finish up our conversation before Derek and my other guard take me back to my cell.

Derek is walking in front of me and the other guard behind me. Derek gets hit with a laser. I'm unsure if he is dead or stunned. I see a man holding a pistol which is now aimed at me. I jump out of the way and the guard behind me gets hit and falls. He hits his head on a large bolt and blood runs everywhere. He is dead. I see more men approaching. I grab Derek's pistol and I dive into the brig. I shout for Helo to lock the door. The men dash for the door but Helo was able to lock it in time. There are four men standing outside attempting to override the lock.

Helo: Okay, what the * censored * is going on?!

Spike: Whats does it look like?!

Helo: * censored *... I'm a dead man. I'm helping a prisoner... I'm a dead man...

Spike: This isn't the captain. It's a coup-da-ta!

Last edited by Spike St-Cloud; 22-02-18, 02:35 AM.

Alright real talk: once again, this is really good. Really, really good. I can't wait to see what shape the story takes next, and I hope you keep up with the steady posting schedule.

But I'm not convinced this wouldn't work as a movie over a book. Obviously it's a good idea that you got a copyright, but I'd spend the $20-50 or so getting a screenplay copyright through the Writer's Guild of America. You never know what shape this will take as you continue to write, and it's good to hedge your bets and cover all your bases. You have an original sci-fi work with dynamic characters, to the point where I can visualize the action as I'm reading. All I'm saying is, it'll make a great book, but it also has potential as a movie, and in these early stages it's worth considering.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigs View Post
      Alright real talk: once again, this is really good. Really, really good. I can't wait to see what shape the story takes next, and I hope you keep up with the steady posting schedule.

But I'm not convinced this wouldn't work as a movie over a book. Obviously it's a good idea that you got a copyright, but I'd spend the $20-50 or so getting a screenplay copyright through the Writer's Guild of America. You never know what shape this will take as you continue to write, and it's good to hedge your bets and cover all your bases. You have an original sci-fi work with dynamic characters, to the point where I can visualize the action as I'm reading. All I'm saying is, it'll make a great book, but it also has potential as a movie, and in these early stages it's worth considering.
      Thanks brother. I welcome any criticisms too. Anything that might help me make it better. I designed the story to be a T-V show. That would be my dream but I always thought that TV shows usually hire multiple writers to write episodes and then you need producers and yada-yada. I didn't research to much into that because I was worried someone could turn my story into something it wasn't meant to be. I figured a book would allow me to present the story the way I wanted. Then maybe someone would base a show off the book. The only thing I really researched was how to copyright. I just wanted the story safe. It be my luck in a month someone would have came up with a similar idea. I thought this story was very original. It isn't a typical time traveler story. I'll have to research more I've just been caught up in the writing.

Something I am very excited about though, is that I just very recently realized that I could actually convert this story into a real novel. I discovered that by reading the story out loud for the first time. I never read a story I wrote out loud so when I did I had to find a way to distinguish what charters were speaking and when. I did it all on the fly so orally it had became a novel. I'm continuing to write in the current format still. It's easier. I can always convert it when Its completely finished. If you want to get really technical I have 3 total books or , in Tv terms, seasons written and I'm working on a forth now.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike St-Cloud View Post

Thanks brother. I welcome any criticisms too. Anything that might help me make it better. I designed the story to be a T-V show. That would be my dream but I always thought that TV shows usually hire multiple writers to write episodes and then you need producers and yada-yada. I didn't research to much into that because I was worried someone could turn my story into something it wasn't meant to be. I figured a book would allow me to present the story the way I wanted. Then maybe someone would base a show off the book. The only thing I really researched was how to copyright. I just wanted the story safe. It be my luck in a month someone would have came up with a similar idea. I thought this story was very original. It isn't a typical time traveler story. I'll have to research more I've just been caught up in the writing.

Something I am very excited about though, is that I just very recently realized that I could actually convert this story into a real novel. I discovered that by reading the story out loud for the first time. I never read a story I wrote out loud so when I did I had to find a way to distinguish what charters were speaking and when. I did it all on the fly so orally it had became a novel. I'm continuing to write in the current format still. It's easier. I can always convert it when Its completely finished. If you want to get really technical I have 3 total books or , in Tv terms, seasons written and I'm working on a forth now.
        If the movie changes the ending of the book, does that mean the book end was bad?

one tip - don’t try to make your book bigger than it is. Use normal size font and don’t put your chapter pages on a seaparate leaf. Nobody likes thick books and nearly everybody likes trees.

i read it yesterday but didn’t have time to post and have forgotten the storyline now. I had questions about the pilot...

Comment

Originally posted by sizzzler View Post

If the movie changes the ending of the book, does that mean the book end was bad?

one tip - don’t try to make your book bigger than it is. Use normal size font and don’t put your chapter pages on a seaparate leaf. Nobody likes thick books and nearly everybody likes trees.

i read it yesterday but didn’t have time to post and have forgotten the storyline now. I had questions about the pilot...
          I very much appreciate your input.

Network exec's like to make writers and directors change parts of the story for various reasons but not necessarily because they think it sucks. A lot of times the ones ones to ruin a story are the ones who didn't write it. This book isn't extremely long. I haven't been trying to publish it yet because its not completely edited even though I've wrote 2 more books worth of material. The story keeps coming to me so I need to get everything from my head to the page but I jump back and forth from writing new stuff to editing old stuff.

As far as people not wanting to read long books I have two words for you. Harry Potter lol. Or twilight... Or Hunger Games. Damn there are more than I thought lol. I agree though i think its a bad idea to have the first book be really thick.

Comment

I didn’t say people don’t want to read long books. They just don’t want to pay for padding and then get lectured about the ‘’environment’’ by the author.

i have seen some movies that improved on the books although they tend to be rarer than the other way around. Room was one.

Comment

Lad from Coolock wishes he lived in Tallaght.

whats new

Comment

You’re from Coolock and you sell scrap.

if you’re bringing a truck, I recommend you use the M50 car park. You can take the bus back.

have you got some issue with black names?

What colour name do you imagine you have, and why?

Hmmm, theres a separate thread in that...

see you there.

Comment

Originally posted by COOLOCKER

Typical ******* putting out stuff that you just make up. You must get a real kick out of posting drivel all the time? Tells us a lot about you.

ah, don't let her bother you. I do however appreciate you defending my honor. Thank you cool-dude (my nickname for you).

i'm aware of her troll status. I didn't know she was a women though. I did think that she was half serious about the story with a little insult slipped in. I tend to ignore her as she seems to have it out for me ever since the donald trump debate.

i like to endulge her from time to time with my superior ( i know i spelled that wrong) wit and humour. The post about the B&Q clan was my favorite ( i think i spelled that wrong too)

Comment

Originally posted by COOLOCKER

Typical ******* putting out stuff that you just make up. You must get a real kick out of posting drivel all the time? Tells us a lot about you.
                    How many people are you?

how many am I?

no sign of you starting that thread about colored names.

Strange...

Comment

Guy's can we just enjoy spikes writings, and not spoil his thread with arguments please.
                      http://www.miniclip.com/user/5323529/en/

Check out my page linked above and challenge my scores.

Comment

Working...
                      X