Discussing the future of flash/web games & BlueMaxima's Flashpoint Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussing the future of flash/web games & BlueMaxima's Flashpoint Project

As Adobe finally discontinues further updates to flash player by December 2020, big browsers are also set to not support the plugin after 2020. It means old version of browsers will still have support for flash player to access flash contents -- but! all the flash games will be removed!

Kongregate: (source- emails to developers)
    Hello Developers!
    With major web browsers continuing their depreciation of support for the Flash plug-in, it will become increasingly difficult for Flash games to remain accessible to the public. As one of the leading Flash game portals of the 2000s to the present, Kongregate is in a unique position to preserve all of the Flash games that you've made and that thousands of players have enjoyed over the years.
    That is why Kongregate is announcing a collaboration with The Strong National Museum of Play! For background, The Strong is a highly interactive, collections-based museum devoted to the history and exploration of play in Rochester, New York. The Strong is actively working to preserve the history of video games through its programs and initiatives such as the World Video Game Hall of Fame and the International Center for the History of Electronic Games,” which collects, studies, and interprets video and other electronic games
    The collaboration entails Kongregate providing a “license” to The Strong to download and preserve the Flash games you have uploaded to Kongregate. To be upfront, when you uploaded your game to the Kongregate platform, you agreed to a version of the User Agreement that licensed your game only to a site, online service, platform or app that is owned or operated by Kongregate. Clearly, The Strong is NOT owned or operated by Kongregate.
    HOWEVER, given that:
    A. The Flash games could be copied by The Strong (or anyone else, for that matter) from Kongregate’s platform;
    B. The Strong intends to use your Flash games only for educational, research, museum, archival, and non-commercial purposes; and
    C. We thought you, as developers, would actually think this opportunity for The Strong to preserve your game would be pretty cool,
    We agreed to help, and we extended a license of the Flash games on our site to The Strong but only for non-commercial purposes, including archiving these games for educational and research purposes and, generally, to ensure these games are preserved.
    Due to the nature of our agreement with you as well as with The Strong, we wanted to not only notify the developers that we are granting The Strong a license to download and store these games, but also provide you with an opportunity to “opt-out” of this collaboration. If you opt-out, we will remove any games you still have current rights for from the archives that we are providing to The Strong. If you would prefer to opt-out, please let us know via email at StrongOptOut@kongregate.com no later than December 15, 2019 with the subject line “OPT-OUT FROM THE STRONG.”
    About Miniclip, I cannot find any announcements from them so far..so judging by what they did to mini-multiplayer games, sketch star, 8 Ball Pool Flash Ver. (after learning the future of flash player, they discontinued support for the flash ver. and introduced a mobile version of the game for web) they'll delete all flash game including all game files available on their servers. In my opinion, they don't care about this issue very much because they need a popular title in 2013-2014, and somehow a pool game got 500M+ downloads by 2019. Also Tencent being the parent company their future sure is bright in mobile games industry without a doubt.

Future of Web Pool? - guess, it either will be shut down or receive no more new updates (even fixes)....as this is what they been doing in past, examples: sketch star, robot rage, bullfrog poker, disc pool, word collapse ...and all these were pay-to-play type games where you had the option to subscribe to a membership or purchase in-game currency. Literally no publishers really wants to make quality games online for free without microtransactions when the ad revenue is peanuts compared to what can be made in the mobile market. Yes, high possibility that first they will remove the games then make announcement about it.

Nitrome: (source- told to a flashpoint curator)
    They don't want their games to be preserved.

BlueMaxima's Flashpoint - the webgame preservation project: what these people does is save all the flash games and make it still playable even if website removes the game.

Request a game/become a curator:
    1 . before making a request check if the game is already available in the latest version of Flashpoint- https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/da...me_Master_List
    2 . before making a request check if the game is already been requested for next version of Flashpoint- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk(click Requests List)
    3 . if you didn't find the game name, then request on this form with Game Title with the Link- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...F5txA/viewform
    4 . there are lot of Curators working to get all games (thousands of content) curated for next version of Flashpoint. To ensure your game gets definitely added to the next version of Flashpoint, you can become a Curator (doesn't requires much knowledge) and volunteer for the project, for more information how to curate games- https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/da...ation_Tutorial

news articles,
    https://www.wired.com/story/flash-ga...on-flashpoint/
    https://medium.com/@bluemaximax011/h...n-51c2e5098209

FYI:

Originally posted by HITC
    WHY IS ADOBE FLASH PLAYER GOING AWAY?

Adobe Flash Player is going away at the end of 2020 because “open standards like HTML5, WebGL and WebAssembly have matured over the past several years”.

This explanation was provided by Adobe back in 2017, where they claimed that the aforementioned open standards now provide the same capabilities and functionalities that plugins such as Flash first pioneered.

Adobe’s explanation for Flash Player going away further stated that “most browser vendors are integrating capabilities once provided by plugins directly into browsers and deprecating plugins”.

The death of Adobe Flash Player will understandably upset some for various reasons, but its demise has been a long time coming with Steve Jobs having banished it from the iPhone back in 2010 for being too insecure.
    Source: https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/02/1...ts-going-away/
    ​​​​​

Comment

Came back after a long time without posting to look for this topic... lol It's funny that nobody posted here when in fact the miniclip forum was created to discuss about games that will be lost forever. When you said they don't care it seems you were right, as I messaged them more than a week ago about this but still havent received any reply. I already started downloading the swf games for the ones I'm interested in, but for some reason commando 2 swf file couldn't be played on the swf player. Are you sure all that games will be playable in the future? Maybe they don't comply. If I were you, I would start downloading the games I am interested in without relying on what they are saying, just in case. Unluckily I will have to depend on them for commando 2, but for the other games I have already downloaded them succesfully.
      My Miniclip channel http://www.youtube.com/user/roberto97spain

Comment

It appears that 8 Ball Pool has grown so large and is such a massive money making machine... it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

thanks for sharing that with us, kunal! it really is a shame that such a crucial part of my youth becomes a cemetery for those games. i will look into the curator thing soon and hope to be able to save as much games as possible.

Originally posted by Rey View Post
          Came back after a long time without posting to look for this topic... lol It's funny that nobody posted here when in fact the miniclip forum was created to discuss about games that will be lost forever. When you said they don't care it seems you were right, as I messaged them more than a week ago about this but still havent received any reply. I already started downloading the swf games for the ones I'm interested in, but for some reason commando 2 swf file couldn't be played on the swf player. Are you sure all that games will be playable in the future? Maybe they don't comply. If I were you, I would start downloading the games I am interested in without relying on what they are saying, just in case. Unluckily I will have to depend on them for commando 2, but for the other games I have already downloaded them succesfully.
          how do you download those games? im not proficient in that downloading business and did you get a reply from mc headquarters?

i guess the lack of protest regarding the removal is also attributed to the declining traffic here in general. i myself am rarely logging in these days and my activity on mc itself has significantly decreased as well compared to the golden age (2009 - 2012), but there should still be some degree of emotional attachment for many (at least when it comes to cherishing the ancient times). many will probably be somewhat unhappy about seeing those games go, even if they refrain from playing / posting nowadays.

on another note: most of the games i clicked on the last days are seemingly not accessable anymore (shadow factory, little fins, pixel cricket, snap n spooky, ghosts stole my dog, r.i.f.t.)
          anybody else having this problem and maybe even aware of what is causing it?
          http://i.cubeupload.com/MXz577.png

Comment

And yet to this day pc/web ver of 8bp still thriving... well, players are still playing this version and hanging on... for how much longer? December 2020 is fast approaching

Comment

Originally posted by d4ve_tv View Post
              And yet to this day pc/web ver of 8bp still thriving... well, players are still playing this version and hanging on... for how much longer? December 2020 is fast approaching
              Isnt the current version of 8 ball pool a non flash game? They got rid of the old version which was flash based a long time ago, then rolled out the current version.

Comment

Just dug this up:

https://support.miniclip.com/hc/en-u...nger-available

Comment

Originally posted by mountain goat View Post
                  thanks for sharing that with us, kunal! it really is a shame that such a crucial part of my youth becomes a cemetery for those games. i will look into the curator thing soon and hope to be able to save as much games as possible.

how do you download those games? im not proficient in that downloading business and did you get a reply from mc headquarters?

i guess the lack of protest regarding the removal is also attributed to the declining traffic here in general. i myself am rarely logging in these days and my activity on mc itself has significantly decreased as well compared to the golden age (2009 - 2012), but there should still be some degree of emotional attachment for many (at least when it comes to cherishing the ancient times). many will probably be somewhat unhappy about seeing those games go, even if they refrain from playing / posting nowadays.

on another note: most of the games i clicked on the last days are seemingly not accessable anymore (shadow factory, little fins, pixel cricket, snap n spooky, ghosts stole my dog, r.i.f.t.)
                  anybody else having this problem and maybe even aware of what is causing it?
                  I dont know if you already managed to do it, but I learned by watching this video to download the files, and use swf player to load them
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJqB-i65EQ

If for some reason you don't manage to do it, tell me and i will record a video for you with no problem
                  My Miniclip channel http://www.youtube.com/user/roberto97spain

Comment

Working...
                  X