Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9ball Sux

Anyone else fed up with 9ball ?

From today I have decided I'm only going to play the call pocket game because I am so very tired of losing to flukes - and since I am infamous for my flukes when playing indirect ( Chris has been calling them 'floggs' for some time now ) that should tell you just how bad it is LOL

All my successes are in no guideline 8ball yet even though I constantly win way more 8ball games than I lose I still can't get my win percentage up thanks to 9ball.

Enough is enough I say ! LOL

Iím hearing you Nanny, it certainly seems harder to control the outcome in 9 ball.
    I have had a dramatic increase in my win percentage since i switched to breaking with the intent to snooker rather than the intent to pot a ball. I can get a snooker 100% of the time, and win most of these games, as well as the usual games i win where my opponent muffs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanny Ogg View Post

From today I have decided I'm only going to play the call pocket game because I am so very tired of losing to flukes - and since I am infamous for my flukes when playing indirect ( Chris has been calling them 'floggs' for some time now ) that should tell you just how bad it is LOL

All my successes are in no guideline 8ball yet even though I constantly win way more 8ball games than I lose I still can't get my win percentage up thanks to 9ball.

That's 9 ball...unfortunately. But in a computer game, it *seems* like it's easier to fluke in balls right and left. Not much you can do about it, but I always signal my extreme displeasure by chatting "in your face!" multiple times.

Also if you chat bomb someone, it might shark them enough so they'll miss. I've done that and about 20% of the time it seems to work.

Problem with Rodeo Drive (call pocket) 9 Ball is there aren't enough people compared to Miami, so you end up in these crappy low stakes games. Waste of time so I usually leave at the beginning of the game and let the opponent have their 100/500/100/2500 coins.

Comment

Originally posted by Tricky View Post
        Iím hearing you Nanny, it certainly seems harder to control the outcome in 9 ball.
        I have had a dramatic increase in my win percentage since i switched to breaking with the intent to snooker rather than the intent to pot a ball. I can get a snooker 100% of the time, and win most of these games, as well as the usual games i win where my opponent muffs it.
        I like your thinking !

I'm gonna try that instead of going for the golden break and getting 1 in every 20 attempts LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Cawdor View Post

That's 9 ball...unfortunately. But in a computer game, it *seems* like it's easier to fluke in balls right and left. Not much you can do about it, but I always signal my extreme displeasure by chatting "in your face!" multiple times.

Also if you chat bomb someone, it might shark them enough so they'll miss. I've done that and about 20% of the time it seems to work.

Problem with Rodeo Drive (call pocket) 9 Ball is there aren't enough people compared to Miami, so you end up in these crappy low stakes games. Waste of time so I usually leave at the beginning of the game and let the opponent have their 100/500/100/2500 coins.
          LOL Ryan if you think players are scarce in mobile you should see the pc version, I don't know how many pc players MC have lost since closing down the old one but it must be tens of thousands because they sure as hťll haven't migrated over LOL

Also I only play a few high stakes games per day, once I have at least a million more than I started the session with I always drop down to the crappy low stakes games anyway, but I still don't like losing to flukers LOL

I can't bring myself to chat bomb my opponents though, although I did say "O'rly ?" to one guy today on a 500k game when I noticed he had a wp of over 93% with ONE ball potted in hundreds of games LOL

Comment

It seems like you think 9 ball is similar to 8 ball because the balls are the same size.

Iíd say thatís a very common problem.

Totally different game requiring different strategy and skill set.

Not saying you donít have the ability, Nanny, but you need to approach it as a completely different game.

Itís really not similar to 8 ball at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Pick E View Post
              It seems like you think 9 ball is similar to 8 ball because the balls are the same size.

Iíd say thatís a very common problem.

Totally different game requiring different strategy and skill set.

Not saying you donít have the ability, Nanny, but you need to approach it as a completely different game.

Itís really not similar to 8 ball at all.
              You might be right you know, I do expect to either win or lose based solely on whatever skills I have vs the skill of my opponent, so maybe that is why I find it so frustrating when flukes are almost built into the gameplay LOL

Tricky has already given me one good idea to strategise my game, do you have any other suggestions ?

I would be grateful to anyone for ideas and tactics to improve my game and even, perhaps, to mitigate against the fluking LOL

Comment

Oh don't be a hater Nanny Ogg
                9 ball is just another cue sport. A totally different animal with many similarities and also differences from 8 ball. I believe the reason 9 ball was invented was for time. That's why the most popular televised pool format is 9 ball. 8 ball takes way too long compared to 9 ball. 9ball is fast and exciting but with that also comes a lot of of luck. In an true epic game of 9 ball, there would very very good defensive safeties played as well as being able to "jump" balls. That's real life 9 ball. In 8 ball pool's 9 ball where there are no push outs or jumping, it's a different game too.

Even though I'm strictly a mobile player on my Android phone, I feel your pain about finding opponents on the pc new version. I guess to even the stakes and increase the challenge, playing 9 ball Dallas is definitely more challenging since u have to call our pockets. But as Ryan mentioned, finding opponents in Dallas is tough.

Either way, glad that you're still playing!

Comment

Originally posted by d4ve_tv View Post
                  I believe the reason 9 ball was invented was for time.
                  9 ball used to be played with "2 ball pushout" back in the 70s or so, not the rules that they play today. The game lasted much longer and it was more strategic.

Comment

You might be right you know, I do expect to either win or lose based solely on whatever skills I have vs the skill of my opponent, so maybe that is why I find it so frustrating when flukes are almost built into the gameplay LOL

Tricky has already given me one good idea to strategise my game, do you have any other suggestions ?

I would be grateful to anyone for ideas and tactics to improve my game and even, perhaps, to mitigate against the fluking LOL
                    Tricky is correct of course, since both players are playing the same balls you have to choose your moment to run the table while ensuring your opponent doesnít get the opportunity to run it first.

This is pretty obvious stuff so perhaps your 9 ball skills are indeed rather lacking and you are not losing to flukes at all.

i would need to see your gameplay to advise further but it does seem that you are new to 9 ball and havenít grasped the basics yet.

Try a few games without thinking it is 8 ball and you might improve dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by d4ve_tv View Post

Oh don't be a hater Nanny Ogg
                      9 ball is just another cue sport. A totally different animal with many similarities and also differences from 8 ball. I believe the reason 9 ball was invented was for time. That's why the most popular televised pool format is 9 ball. 8 ball takes way too long compared to 9 ball. 9ball is fast and exciting but with that also comes a lot of of luck. In an true epic game of 9 ball, there would very very good defensive safeties played as well as being able to "jump" balls. That's real life 9 ball. In 8 ball pool's 9 ball where there are no push outs or jumping, it's a different game too.

Either way, glad that you're still playing!
                      LOL D4ve, cheers, I may well be a hater ( of losing :=P ) and a moaning old baggage too LOL but I'm not a quitter so yeah, I'll keep playing, I just need to learn to play differently to how I play 8ball LOL

And yes, the speed of each game is what makes it attractive to play, which is why I still play on when losing although you will hardly ever find me in a high stakes game in 9ball LOL

Comment

9 ball used to be played with "2 ball pushout" back in the 70s or so, not the rules that they play today. The game lasted much longer and it was more strategic.
                        Hey Ryan could you explain in simple terms the push out rule and how and why one would use it please ? I play in another site where that rule has been coded into the game but although I've been offered the chance to "play a push-out" I could never see or understand why I would do that LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Pick E View Post

This is pretty obvious stuff so perhaps your 9 ball skills are indeed rather lacking and you are not losing to flukes at all.

i would need to see your gameplay to advise further but it does seem that you are new to 9 ball and havenít grasped the basics yet.
                          LOL Pick I have 70 rings in ngl 9ball on my main account alone, over the 4 accounts I play I would guess I have somewhere around 350 rings total ( half and

half in 8ball/9ball ) , so while my skills might be lacking it's not down to lack of experience, I have over 50K wins ( not games.... wins ) overall so if I am crap

then I am old crap not n00b crap LOL

Comment

LOL Pick I have 70 rings in ngl 9ball on my main account alone, over the 4 accounts I play I would guess I have somewhere around 350 rings total ( half and

half in 8ball/9ball ) , so while my skills might be lacking it's not down to lack of experience, I have over 50K wins ( not games.... wins ) overall so if I am crap

then I am old crap not n00b crap LOL
                            B... U... R... N... you tell em Nanny Ogg

Comment

Hey Ryan could you explain in simple terms the push out rule and how and why one would use it please ? I play in another site where that rule has been coded into the game but although I've been offered the chance to "play a push-out" I could never see or understand why I would do that LOL
                              I could try to explain a push out, but I'll wait to see how Ryan Cawdor explains it.

BTW, what other site do you play that lets you do push outs? Just curious. Not that I will start playing another site. This one 8bp keeps me busy enough!

Comment

Check out this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/billiards/c...is_a_push_out/

It's used if you break and make a ball but are hooked on the next ball, or if opponent breaks, doesn't make a ball at all but you have no shot on the 1 ball.

Comment

Check out this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/billiards/c...is_a_push_out/

It's used if you break and make a ball but are hooked on the next ball, or if opponent breaks, doesn't make a ball at all but you have no shot on the 1 ball.
                                  so the 2 ball pushout game that I mentioned above.... they used to do that on every shot in 9 ball.

Comment

d4ve_tv

LOL d4ve, that wasn't meant as a burn just a gentle explanation, when I seriously intend to burn someone I tend to leave out my trademark overuse of LOLS... LOL

If you want to check out the site I mentioned then perhaps you might be more tempted to give it a go when I tell you that you can play online snooker there as well LOL

https://www.kongregate.com/games/Gan...acomplete=pool

I have a couple of accounts there but I am not even close to being a regular player, I only used to use it when I wanted a break from MC LOL

Comment

Ryan Cawdor

Hey Ryan, thanks for that link, I'll take a peek for the sake of my own pool education although I will probably never have a chance to use it since I hardly ever play on that other site anymore LOL

Comment

Personally I only ever play 9ball now. I think it's because 8ball games take too long and I'm super lazy. I don't even like clearing the table in 9ball. I'm always looking for the quick finish and if that means smashing the 9 round the table a few times, I'm fine with that. Nanny Ogg, you've probably lost to my flukes a few times and for that I humbly apologize. Fancy a game? I'll close my eyes and just whack it D

Comment

Working...
                                        X