Still Using Standard Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Using Standard Cue

Apologies for all of the posts but I never knew this forum existed :-)

Iíve played 8,200+ games with a 61.7% win rate... and I still use the same standard cue. What are the benefits of the other cues?

With other cues you have longer aim lines, more power, more ability to spin, and more time.

Iíve been on the receiving end of an indirect denial by an opponent using the standard cue, so if you are a good player you donít need any other cues.

Me, iíd struggle with the standard cue. Mainly with the ability to stop the cue ball with backspin.

Comment

Ok thanks. The main reason I havenít upgraded is because I felt it was better to learn and master the feel of one cue, so that you could be more accurate. Iíve never really found myself in a position needing more power or spin, and iíve always been in favour of trying to keep the game as real as possible (i.e - no magic cues lol)

Comment

Originally posted by oo7ml View Post

Iíve played 8,200+ games with a 61.7% win rate... and I still use the same standard cue. What are the benefits of the other cues?
        Like the others say, they give you longer guide lines so make shots a little easier sometimes. But if you are happy with the standard cue and you are obviously doing well with it, stick with it !
        †Oh No, he's retired !

Comment

Nice dude, it seems like you are winning most of your games with that cue there is no reason to switch. A cue with higher stats just doesnt magically make a player better, they will need to get use to what that cue can do like you have with that one.

The benefits of using a cue with higher stats like force and spin are that with higher force you can get better breaks as in more balls pocketed and spread around the table which will lead to giving a denial easier. Force + Spin allows you to control where the white ball goes better which lets you get out of some sticky situations better than a lower level cue. Idk if its just me imagining things but i feel like balls end up in more messed up positions after the break on higher bet tables than they do in lower ones and if i don't open them and win on that 1 turn i will probably lose cuz the opponent will most likely run the table. I've had to make some tricky shots to open up some of those balls or get my white ball in a good spot which idk if i could of done that with a cue that barely has any stats.

I would argue that using a maxed +10 stat cue would be keeping the game as real as possible. IMO the cues that dont have maxed stats have a magical debuff put on them that makes them not perform how a normal cue stick would. So maybe using a cue with higher stats might be you keeping the game more real

Comment

Ok cool, thanks... that makes sense :-)

Comment

Originally posted by oo7ml View Post

Hello oo7ml and welcome to the forum!
              There is MUCH to learn about all the different cues. Everyone who has responded so far is spot on about the cues. But don't try to compare your experience playing this game with "real life" pool/billiards. This is a "simulation" and it is not 100% accurate as you probably already know. The different cues with the FAST (Force, Aim, Spin, Time) stats are just part of the game to make the more interesting among other things.

If you have time you should read this thread about cues. On about the 3 page, you will see my post of the spreadsheet I created of "most" of the cues available.
              https://miniclipforum.com/forum/multiplayer-communities/-8-ball-pool/4317-8-ball-pool-cue-stick-power-aim-spin-and-time-updated

Comment

Yeah, nearly any cue can net decent results, just kind of what you get use to, even the beginner cue if you put in some effort. The higher ranked cues essentially make things a bit easier most of the time, but you will have to learn your new cue a bit if you switch it up. If I play with one cue for a long time, then decide to switch to something else with noticeably different stats, I have to to play a number of games to readjust a bit as I usually have my power / spin way off. Once readjusted, you'd get use to a higher power cue no problem and you may want to try one out to make shots easier, doesn't hurt. If you play on mobile, you can of course use the practice table to get the hang of it (I don't know if the web version has the practice table).
                I play mobile... Android mainly, but sometimes on my iPhone...
                Got a newer tablet finally! Trying to re-learn how to play :-))

Name / ID in 8 ball pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Deimos View Post
                  Yeah, nearly any cue can net decent results, just kind of what you get use to, even the beginner cue if you put in some effort. The higher ranked cues essentially make things a bit easier most of the time, but you will have to learn your new cue a bit if you switch it up. If I play with one cue for a long time, then decide to switch to something else with noticeably different stats, I have to to play a number of games to readjust a bit as I usually have my power / spin way off. Once readjusted, you'd get use to a higher power cue no problem and you may want to try one out to make shots easier, doesn't hurt. If you play on mobile, you can of course use the practice table to get the hang of it (I don't know if the web version has the practice table).
                  We have the practice table.

Comment

Well said. When I've been playing with same cue for awhile and then switch or accidentally switched, I can immediately notice the difference. I hate to say it but the way this game is configured... the higher FAST stat cues make it easier to make harder shots. It makes sense right? Miniclip wants you to work towards (hopefully spending money) getting the best cue you can afford because they play better than the beginner cue. I've seen players brag that they can play just as well with the beginner cue. My response? Where is that emojee... here it is

I'll probably take some heat for this bc there are some Awesome players out there, but if you pit 2 awesome players and one plays with the Archangel and the other with the beginner cue and they play a race to say 15 (just to factor out some luck), I would definitely put my money on the player with the Archangel.

Comment

Originally posted by d4ve_tv View Post

Well said. When I've been playing with same cue for awhile and then switch or accidentally switched, I can immediately notice the difference. I hate to say it but the way this game is configured... the higher FAST stat cues make it easier to make harder shots. It makes sense right? Miniclip wants you to work towards (hopefully spending money) getting the best cue you can afford because they play better than the beginner cue. I've seen players brag that they can play just as well with the beginner cue. My response? Where is that emojee... here it is

I'll probably take some heat for this bc there are some Awesome players out there, but if you pit 2 awesome players and one plays with the Archangel and the other with the beginner cue and they play a race to say 15 (just to factor out some luck), I would definitely put my money on the player with the Archangel.
                      Absolutely agree with you, I used to think I was pretty good with my beginners cue ( I even started calling it my "broomstick" in the old forum as a tribute to my old witch persona which got me an official warning from one of the most useless and vindictive moderators ever to have been employed by MC LOL ) but that was before I started learning more difficult shots.

Some shots require more force and some shots, especially indirect, require more spin and you might as well be playing with a plank of wood if you use the "broomstick" when trying to make them LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Nanny Ogg View Post

Absolutely agree with you, I used to think I was pretty good with my beginners cue ( I even started calling it my "broomstick" in the old forum as a tribute to my old witch persona which got me an official warning from one of the most useless and vindictive moderators ever to have been employed by MC LOL ) but that was before I started learning more difficult shots.

Some shots require more force and some shots, especially indirect, require more spin and you might as well be playing with a plank of wood if you use the "broomstick" when trying to make them LOL
                        If I went down to a lower cue and tried some of the shots I make with a higher cue, it wouldn't even be close. That being said, there are some elite players out there who are so good that after they "study" and have practiced w/ the beginner cue, know how to use it and use it well.

Comment

Yeah I do not use the beginner cue much anymore either, but I will say I think it helped me not rely on guidelines (I can play no guidelines now just fine, not great at combo shots, but not great at them with guids, lmao), and also made me chose my shots more wisely as I had to really work hard to keep control of my shots and get the cue ball where I wanted it. I don't recommend using it as your main cue, although it could perhaps help push someone to play a little better, so doesn't hurt playing with it for a while. I sure as **** don't want to use it all the time, but I feel it helped me a bit when I did.

As for indirect, I feel like I'm playing with a plank of wood whichever cue I use. I finally moved up to the Billionaire cue, but that hasn't helped either...

Comment

there are some elite players out there who are so good that after they "study" and have practiced w/ the beginner cue, know how to use it and use it well.
                            Thank you very much !

Comment

There are diminishing returns on getting a “better” cue. I use the Emerald cue currently, FAST 8788. I can’t remember the last time i wished for more cue.

When playing low levels with not much cash in the kitty, it’s better to use a low level cue to keep the recharge low.

I’d be comfortable playing a race to 15 (direct) with any cue over FAST 4444.

Comment

Originally posted by Tricky View Post
                                There are diminishing returns on getting a “better” cue. I use the Emerald cue currently, FAST 8788. I can’t remember the last time i wished for more cue.

When playing low levels with not much cash in the kitty, it’s better to use a low level cue to keep the recharge low.

I’d be comfortable playing a race to 15 (direct) with any cue over FAST 4444.
                                Good points. But I think there's something we are all leaving out... despite the FAST status of any cue you play with, there's also a psychological component. For me, it gives me a certain amount of confidence knowing that I'm playing with a "legendary" cue with high FAST stats or an Expert cue that I've almost maxed out. Of course it's all in my head, but having that psychological boost can often times give you that edge to play better

Comment

Yeah I do not use the beginner cue much anymore either, but I will say I think it helped me not rely on guidelines (I can play no guidelines now just fine, not great at combo shots, but not great at them with guids, lmao), and also made me chose my shots more wisely as I had to really work hard to keep control of my shots and get the cue ball where I wanted it. I don't recommend using it as your main cue, although it could perhaps help push someone to play a little better, so doesn't hurt playing with it for a while. I sure as **** don't want to use it all the time, but I feel it helped me a bit when I did.

As for indirect, I feel like I'm playing with a plank of wood whichever cue I use. I finally moved up to the Billionaire cue, but that hasn't helped either...
                                  Sir, you are so good, it wouldn't matter if you played with one arm tied behind your back

Comment

Sir, you are so good, it wouldn't matter if you played with one arm tied behind your back
                                    Not quite, but we'll go with that if you want to.

Comment

Not quite, but we'll go with that if you want to.
                                      You are too modest my friend

Comment

I've got a 58.2 win percentage with the standard cue. I won't ever change that, and it makes me chuckle when I beat these super powered cues. I hated when they gave lower level players a fighting chance with these magic sticks, but I just overcame that.

Comment

Working...
                                        X