When would you consider a player “good”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When would you consider a player “good”

The more i play this game, the more i come to the realisation that there is an amazing level of ability out there.

When i first started, i thought i was pretty good that i could achieve the odd denial

After a while i realised that “everyone” can achieve the odd denial, and i practiced a heap until i could achieve a denial more than half the time. Now i thought i was good.

Still not enough though, needed to perfect the bank shot and conquer the elusive Berlin.

A while ago i got to the point where i can win more Berlin than i lose, and in a straight game can denial most games i break.

As if by magic, it seemed like i now have run into a whole new level of opponent. Most have 50+ Berlin wins, and more often than not will denial me if they get the break (yes in Berlin).

I’m trying to lift my game to match these players, i’m wondering what other people’s experiences are, i know i’ve come across a few players that literally never miss - just how common is this though? (had one opponent in Monaco where i missed the break and he cleared the table with indirect shots and then performed an indirect denial. He is in my friends list and i’ve played him a few more times and haven’t seen him miss a shot yet!

Surely as you get that good the game would lose some interest?

My goal at this stage is to be able to do a denial in Berlin more than half the time, what are your short and long term goals - and have you noticed your perception of what a good player is change as you play?

Tricky

Yep, agreed.

Over time and as I have become a better, more experienced player I have also noticed that the standard of my opponents has also seemed to get better.

Just when you think you're getting somewhere, someone always comes along to burst your bubble LOL

I play a strategic game overall, not on the tables but of the tables, so once I'm 5 to 10m ahead of where I started I drop down and continue playing at lower tiers.

This way I will never lose what I have worked so hard to get.

It also means that I very rarely meet the top echelons of elite players, which is exactly my strategy LOL

It's hard to say if someone is "good" based just on straight pool since the overpowered sdsf cues definitely give an advantage to the owner in respect of the cue stats, the XP bonuses and the cashback system, so even high levels and high win percentages can be massaged and manipulated.

So I think the best way for me to gauge whether my opponent is "good" is when they play some of those multi-rail indirect shots that I hadn't even noticed were there, let alone that the shot was doable or even possible LOL

Comment

Tricky

I just realised that with all my rambling in the last post I forgot to answer your questions LOL

I don't know about anyone else, but although I love to win ( who doesn't ? ) I get more satisfaction from attempting and ( sometimes ) making difficult shots, whether it's multi-rail indirects or getting myself out of being snookered.
      I just enjoy myself more when I know I played well. Even if I lose the game I feel good if I've made some good shots.
      Perhaps the elites feel the same way and derive their satisfaction from their skills rather than their coin balances.

As for my goals, in the short to medium term I am looking forward to getting my 2 mains from 167 and 152 respectively, up to and over the level 200 milestone.
      As I don't own any XP Bonus cues on those accounts getting that level means it will be by my own efforts and not by having my hand held along the way by MC.

Long term I do want a legendary or an epic cue on those accounts, but I want one that is at least comparable to my mid level country cues, and since they are both at a level where winning cash via the weekly leagues is simply impossible it means that I have to get cash from Lucky Shots and levelling up.
      Which explains why this is a long term goal LOL
      It would be nice if the cues I get were pink as well, but beggars can't be choosers LOL

Comment

Tricky Nanny Ogg

I concur on all counts. Unlike Nanny, I've only been playing since Dec 2017 and from my studies, the caliber of player has increased dramatically. Once you learn of the players that are ranked over 500 and have many many many Berlin rings, you will be in awe. Also since I am not a pro subscriber, I will not see the number of Venice rings he/she has on their profiles. If I did I would be even more in awe!

When newbies start they will complain over and over and are convinced these players are bots or are cheating because well... they never miss or they will make these incredible near impossible shots, but as I have learned these are actual real people. To be able to make 99% of your indirect or bank shots just takes practice and experience. I know this because I suck at it and it's because I don't practice enough.

For awhile when I was on my run to get my first Berlin ring I was getting pretty good at banks and could "see" them well enough to get my 4 Berlin rings. Since then I've slacked off and play only Miami. As a result my indirects are piss-poor to say the least Those incredible players who can make indirects with their eyes closed make so many bank shots that they can just "see it" and know how much spin to use and remember, this is seeing the bank shot from directly above... just as everyone else who plays this game... we see the game from directly above the table. I wish I could get this skill overnight, but as with most things it just comes with repetition and practice. Period.

Goals... my earliest goal was to just to get to a million coins! I remember watching a ton of short videos just to get coins! Then it was to get enough pool cash to get my first country cue. After that my most ambitious goal was to get 1 ring of every regular table and that was the most fun and challenging goal. What a celebration I had when I got completed that goal with wining that last Berlin game! My goal after that was to get 17 leg cues so I would have "up to" 100% coin return on a loss. Once I hit that, the next obvious goal was to get all 20. Another big celebration of the Happy Dance for me when I finally got the last piece of Archangel cue!

Now my current goal is to just build up my coins so I can start playing more Rome (to practice indirects) and then move to Berlin where I can win (or lose) more than 10M coins at a time. Here's a tip that you may already know. To progress in this game is like a marathon, not a sprint! Unless you're one of those top 10% Epic Bot-Like players who never miss, to get more coins you have to pick a comfortable table that you can afford to lose coins, then just play and play and play. For me, it's Miami 10M games. I just set aside say 30 min or an hour and just play game after game, win or lose (hopefully winning more). Win Miami there's more "luck" involved than say Berlin so there is that difference, but if I just play and play, I am good enough to win more than I lose and playing with a Leg cue, when I lose I normally don't lose the whole 10M because I get back 3 to 6M coins. So that's how I build my coins. I will put on a recorded tv show and then play while I'm watching. I usu don't even watch the game. I just listen for when it's my turn to shoot.

Yeh getting exclusive event cues such as Pool Pass cues are nice. Even those cool chat packs and emoticons are nice. I do get a kick out of the emoticons, but I don't go out of my way to get every single one out there. Not my goal to get every single ring available (which is quite an impressive goal by the way). Even a goal of getting Expert cues is not for me because yes it's nice to have the Expert Galaxy or Black Hole cue maxed, but I wouldn't use it. Why? Because it doesn't give you back any coins like my Leg cues. So I'd rather max out my Leg cues. That requires pool cash so that's not a feasible goal at the moment. I guess I can say that another of my current goals besides building coins is to just be a better player... to be able to make banks with one eye close and one arm tied behind my back that would be a worthy goal right? Just to say you've mastered the game. Would it be boring if I reached that level??? Hmmmm... ask me in about 10 years ​​​​​​​

Comment

Nanny Ogg

I’m at the stage now where indirect games are taking my interest also. It’s amazing how much your bank shots improve when that’s all you play.

Good luck getting your pink broomstick

d4ve_tv

Your pool journey sounds pretty similar to mine, including the interim goals

Except you managed to get all the Leg cues, i haven’t even started on them!

Comment

I can only consider a player good when i see how they run the table. Knowing that they are deliberately using backspin with side to get to that ball thats blocked in, and then making it come off tells me they are good. As for goals, i have none, lol. I just jump on and see where i can go. But it all depends on how my game is going as well. If i suck, i tend to drop it for a while, but winning will always keep me at the table.

Comment

I'll consider a player good when they prepare for a shot the same way I would. So while I'm watching my opponent aim his/her shot, I'll watch the cue ball and YELL at my phone "You better put some bottom right English on that #@$!% cue ball or you're going to scratch ya numbnut!" If they put bottom right, then they're "good".

Comment

Tricky You created a great thread, thank you! I will have a long answer, I hope to answer up to a week.

Comment

Why can't you answer now LMAO

Comment

I’ve just moved up another rank in the 8 ball world. I recently had a good run in Berlin, and since then i’ve not been paired up with an opponent having less than 25 Berlin rings.

These players are ALL seriously good. Basically if you don’t clear the table or play a good safety shot - you lose. About 50% of the games are denials!

I am curious to see what sort of opponents i come up against when i sort this lot out...

Comment

Originally posted by Tricky View Post
                      I’ve just moved up another rank in the 8 ball world. I recently had a good run in Berlin, and since then i’ve not been paired up with an opponent having less than 25 Berlin rings.

These players are ALL seriously good. Basically if you don’t clear the table or play a good safety shot - you lose. About 50% of the games are denials!

I am curious to see what sort of opponents i come up against when i sort this lot out...

Safety is impossible if your opponent is really good and/or diffrent(Diamond System know-Rail Shots-3,5,7) and playing to win the game (seriously, full concentration).Example soft break not a solution for win the game.I won hundreds of games. My opponents just watched me.I have won many difficult games with 4-7 rail shots).Usally the Cue Ball and/or the Black Ball possitions bad.

Comment

Yes, i guess in the end it will come down to whoever gets the break wins. I’ll probably stop playing then as i only seem to get the break around 1 in 6 games at the moment

Comment

a good player is very easy spot.if they break first. for example if they break and don't have position run out table. they will pot first or second ball then he or she set up a cue ball or an object ball for you not to easy run out the table. most maniac player just break than try to run out the table and they did not realize the last ball or all most last ball they don't have a shoot

Comment

Originally posted by panda View Post
                            a good player is very easy spot.if they break first. for example if they break and don't have position run out table. they will pot first or second ball then he or she set up a cue ball or an object ball for you not to easy run out the table. most maniac player just break than try to run out the table and they did not realize the last ball or all most last ball they don't have a shoot
                            true but sometimes players try to break the blocked ball and dont succeed, 95% of the player (i play in shangai) dont wait the last moment to lighten the table but a large part dont do it right, i dont consider them good

Comment

run out table is good player before but not now. why because now a day almost every one had good cue. a real good player is when you see how they position the cue ball a make the next shot look easy . play in shanghai is not the that hard cause no call pocket

Comment

positional play makes a good player, as panda said if they play and place the cue ball perfectly for the next shot
                                another thing i consider really good is using spin, it's a lot harder to properly use spin and force than just doing normal shots

Comment

Doesnt matter when a level 20 hacker can just quit the game and win your coins from you. Or a salty high level guy gets beat by you fairly and ur only level 30 and im sure hacked me. Or players that freeze the game when im beating them, and run my time out when they come back. SCAM SCAM SCAM game. never pay real money. This game is useless, even if i get back my lost profile, i could reach a high amount of stats and then be scammed or hacked again. So could you....unless of course youre a hacker too.

POINTLESS, WASTE OF TIME

Comment

miniclip8ballpoolscam
                                    It is a good game, you just have to stop worrying about coins/rings etc.. Join the forum club and play friendly games, and enjoy trying to improve your gameplay

Comment

There's much more "hacking" going on with PC ver than mobile. There are insanely good players here. As mentioned, if they get the break, you will most likely not get a shot. And if you do, it will be an impossible shot. So in my opinion, if you want to "compete" at that level... Berlin and Venice, you have to be at the top of your game. You have to be able to play indirect/bank shots with ease. That's why I don't play Berlin much. I'm not that good. But I'm working on it

Comment

I'm probably the best 8 ball pool player from Norway! A nightmare for my opponents!

Comment

Working...
                                        X