Level Does Not Equate To Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level Does Not Equate To Skill

I keep reading that people are annoyed when they are matched up with someone with a higher level. The level does NOT indicate the player is accomplished in any way. A high level just indicates, the player has played a lot of games. Sure the more games you play, should improve your game. But, it means nothing to me in a matchup. Look at the players profile. The winning percentage is a better indication of how well your opponent plays and can give other hints to their skill level. For example if your opponent is at a low level, like 22, that does NOT mean they are a bad player. Look at their profile and often you'll find the so called "level 22" player has a 80% win rate. This may mean it's an experienced player that has started over with a new account. Or, when you encounter a player with a super high level, again look at their profile. Their winning percentage may be well below 50% but, they've played several thousand games! Of course your level will increase after that many games, but that's no indication of skill level. These are just a couple of examples but, the bottom line is a player's profile will reveal much more than the silly level. Even looking at a players earned rings gives you a better idea of the opponent you're up against and where they like to play. Also, look at the players Tournament wins. A player with close to winning 50% of his/her tournaments (very rare), is an EXCELLENT player no matter their level. I've played over 1,500 games so far and I find that my chances of winning a game has ZERO to do with the level of the opponent I'm playing. Study a players profile! It only takes a few seconds if you really want to have an idea of the skill level of your opponent.

You are quite right CPWUSAF33. Level means nothing. And win % isn't always a good guideline. I always look at tournaments first although it doesn't mean as much nowadays, back in the day I was a tournament freak, winning 15326 out of 23572 (65.02% win ratio)
     Oh No, he's retired !

Comment

Just below 50% tournaments myself. 30k games played overall. Not much to go on there, but i absolutely agree with you CPWUSAF33 .

Comment

I always look to the Berlin rings first. Over 50 Berlins and it’s a good chance they won’t miss that bank shot

Comment

I agree it doesnt mean a lot really imho, but tricky is correct, cushion/bank shot were good player will come into there own, but yes im pretty good at the game, eraned billions ect, but ive won ranking 600/700 ect, but also lost to ranked 17 ect...everone can win anyone on a one match play....20 games in a row, weell thats differnet

Comment

Now thats when i would probably consider myself a great player.....when i can win a game playing indirect. Always said i was naff at banking, and why i dont play indirect, lol.

Comment

I never thought i’d get there Cool - but i’m slowly getting better at the rails. I have started to spend a lot of time playing indirect - it’s true that after a while you can “see” the banks.

Comment

Agree with everything here.
                I would add that if you lose to a guest account, it's probably someone who has played before or has a large main account. Experience/ repetition counts... like most games.

Comment

I have watched some really good online players on Yt going from zero with a beginner cue and if you met them it would be hard. But they are being deceptive, giving their opponent a false sense of security. I have no idea of the mentality of players that have more than one account? Do they enjoy their wins in the bathroom?

I mean you don't see Efren reyes in disguise do you/

I am just back up to 1M coins in my only ever account

Comment

i always look to see how many Beijing rings they have, if they have zero I know I'll probably win.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Jones View Post
                      I have watched some really good online players on Yt going from zero with a beginner cue and if you met them it would be hard. But they are being deceptive, giving their opponent a false sense of security. I have no idea of the mentality of players that have more than one account? Do they enjoy their wins in the bathroom?

I am just back up to 1M coins in my only ever account
                      I agree with you on that one Fred - but there are a LOT of members here who use multiple accounts for a variety of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Tricky View Post

I agree with you on that one Fred - but there are a LOT of members here who use multiple accounts for a variety of reasons.

I bet a lot of them complain about cheatos too. The hypocrisy is mind bending.

Imagine starting your first vegas game against someone who should be level 500

Comment

Actually efren reyes was in disguise when he first came over to the united states that many years ago. he went under the name "cesar morales"

Back then it wasn't uncommon for a real good player to disguise themselves in an effort to hustle someone..... There was one pro who used to dress up in old painter clothes with the splattered paint on shoes, every where else... that's how he lured his victims into losing lots of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Cawdor View Post

Actually efren reyes was in disguise when he first came over to the united states that many years ago. he went under the name "cesar morales"

Back then it wasn't uncommon for a real good player to disguise themselves in an effort to hustle someone..... There was one pro who used to dress up in old painter clothes with the splattered paint on shoes, every where else... that's how he lured his victims into losing lots of money.
                            I have a YT vid about him. I will try and find the link, but that is real cash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIJk7f85ly8

Comment

Working...
                            X