Moderators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderators

THIS APPLICATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED. PLEASE FOLLOW THE LATEST POSTS WITHIN THIS THREAD FOR UP TO DATE INFORMATION.

Hi all,

We are looking to recruit a team of up to five active, responsible members to become Forum Moderators and help us with the day-to-day running of the forums. Any member is eligable to apply, subject to the responsibilities and skills outlined below.

Moderators are individuals whose job it is to look after the running of the forums from day to day, ensuring that the forum rules are observed and that the board stays clean of spam and other problematic posts. Moderators have the power to edit or delete posts, lock, unlock, move, merge, delete and split topics, stick and unstick threads, make announcements and even prune entire forums. They can also edit avatars and signatures, and are able to view IP addresses and emails to aid in their efforts to track returning troublemakers. Moderators can also issue warnings, infractions and bans of varying or unlimited lengths, and have access to the private staff discussion forum, affectionately known as "The Boardroom".
    As a mod you have a MUCH greater say in how the forum is managed and for the most dedicated there remains the potential for further progression -- Dalton & myself both started off as mods, for instance.

It is worth saying that while being a moderator can be a fun and rewarding experience, it can also from time to time place you at the the forefront of drama and "forum politics". Moderators from the previous Miniclip Forum quit due to this - more than once. While we hope this offer is well recieved and sparks interest, it is right to caution applicants of the pressures they may experience. Ultimately, you are all here to have fun.

If you can handle that and this offer still sounds appealing, then we would love to hear fom you.

If you wish to apply for the position of moderator, please submit a short personal statement detailing why you think you would be ideal for this job and either post it within this thread, or submit it to me via PM. Any PM applications recieved will be kept confidential.

Applications for this position with close on October 1st. The administration team will then deliberate the candidates for a few days before the new staff team is ultimately unveiled. Successful applicants will recieve a PM and an email to notify them of their success and will be promoted to the rank of moderator.

During the first month we will get to see if being a moderator is right for you. Instructions and guidelines will be available within the Boardroom on how to carry out your duties and use your moderation tools.

If your application is ultimately unsucessful, please do not be offended as there may be reasons behind this that do not include you personally. Ideally, we hope to create a team that reflects the demographics of our community and also takes into account time zones.

Thank you for your interest and we look forward to recieving your applications.

JOB APPLICATION - Forum Moderator
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http/\/i27.photobucket.com\\\\\\\/albums\\\\\\\/c156\\\\\\\/Tetsumonchi\\\\\\\/Avatars%20Sigs%20and%20Desktops\\\\\\\/forum_avatar_miniclip.gif"}[/IMG2]
    THE POSITION:
    The Miniclip Fan Forums is looking for Moderators for our Forum. This is a voluntary position, working from home.
    RESPONSIBILITIES:
    • The Miniclip Community has existed for over 15 years and includes former members from the Old Forums, Miniclip Club Penguin and 8 Ball Pool, at the center of which exists a core of long-standing and dedicated users.
    • The role of the Forum Moderator is to assist with the monitoring and moderating of user-generated content, to ensure that our online community is a safe and fun environment.
    • Review and moderate all user-generated content and user profiles comments, images, videos and audio on the Miniclip forum, and liaising with the Administration Team where required.
    • Respond to questions, complaints and requests for assistance from members; seeking the advice of fellow moderators when needed and escalating to the Administration Team if necesarry.
    • Build the community by nurturing both the core users and new users without prejudice or bias.
    • Manage the user disciplinary process by issuing warnings, infractions and bans. Track and remove previously banned users, as well as identifying and removing hackers and cheaters.
    • Gather/communicate information from members regarding bugs/glitches within the forum and feedback to the Administration Team.
    • Uphold the Miniclip Fan Forum rules, adhere to them personally, and ensure that they remain relevant and up to date as the community grows and the online environment changes.
    REQUIRED SKILLS:
    • We are looking for a sociable, enthusiastic, team-player who is able to take personal responsibility for their decisions, actions and results. Due to the voluntary nature of the work, we need moderators who have a sense of humour and are always willing to go the extra mile.
    • Ability to dedicate time to the forums, visiting regularly at least 5 days a week most weeks.
    • Previous online community participation.
    • Demonstrates an enthusiasm, energy and passion for our community, this forum, and Miniclip's games.
    • Must be a team player and willing to work closely with the other moderators and administrators.
    • Must be completely trustworthy and dedicated to the best interests of the community as you may be privy to confidential information.
    • Knowledge of Miniclip and internet culture in general.
    • Ability to juggle and multitask several priorities at once and understand the different needs of users, mods and admins.
    • Must be able to appropriately articulate oneself and represent community sentiment.
    • Must be friendly, polite and helpful to every user, and must remain calm in stressful situations.
    • Ability to work with a wide variety of personalities and be sensitive to a range of beliefs, cultures and backgrounds.

The following skills and attributes are desirable but not required:
    • Prior online forum moderation experience.
    • Knowledge of VBulletin
    • Miniclip Master status

For forum support, drop me a PM, visitor message or post in my NSPM thread..

You can add me on Facebook as well
    http://www.facebook.com/Tetsumonchi

If you have any questions about any of the above, please post them here.

REMEMBER - APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON OCTOBER 1ST.

Dismiss the announcement about this by clicking the (currently) invisible icon at the top right of the box.

This is on our to-fix list.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 07.26.39.png
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	181226

Comment

yes

Comment

I want to know about this mod you guys going to get. Would they have access to my email? How would you guys determine if this mod is honest and trustworthy ? You and Dalton been accepted by MC company, that is why I trust you guys. How can I trust this mod?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah Girl View Post
          I want to know about this mod you guys going to get. Would they have access to my email? How would you guys determine if this mod is honest and trustworthy ? You and Dalton been accepted by MC company, that is why I trust you guys. How can I trust this mod?

I pretty much agree with what Cheetah is saying.

You guys, I trust, because you have always been in this position since I joined, so it was an informed choice for me.

I also accept that you are pretty alone these days, with the other mods/admins having drifted away,
          however, I have some reservations about another member here, having access to my IP address and other private info.

If we promise not to count to 50, will you reconsider appointing new mods? <----
          (This is a joke btw)

Comment

I can assure you that moderators most likely won't have access to the Back-End (server, database) and therefore they can not see your personal information.
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a-OvHGpOLZKpMB5b_-Z6B0wJNBTaygPm

Comment

Originally posted by The_Striker_25 View Post

I can assure you that moderators most likely won't have access to the Back-End (server, database) and therefore they can not see your personal information.
              I hope so .

Comment

Tetsumonchi

I also agree with, and have the same reservations as Cheetah.

You and Dalton are trusted because we have known you for a long time, both here and in the other place.

Also, there is a good reason why moderator appointments are usually made by invitation and not by application.

Anyone who wants and actively seeks to have power over other people is, in my opinion, not fit to have it.

I would also strongly suggest that anyone, like me, who has been involved in forum fights and drama should not even be considered.

The position of moderator requires complete impartiality, anyone who has any beef with anyone else, or has had in the past, would struggle to be considered impartial when dealing with those people.

It's your decision to choose application over invitation.

It's my opinion that it's the wrong choice.

Comment

I am definitely against this new idea of yours.

I do not want my personal information made available for anyone else to see.

I do not want to feel vulnerable being on here.

As with the others on here....I trust you and Dalton and I accepted your

position on here from the start.

I know you are busy and really could use the help running this place....

but i do not want to feel uncomfortable and exposed on here.

Comment

As Nanny said, there should be Invitations and not Applications.

But, i think, i could not trust anyone other,

than you Colin and Dalton with our personal information.

Comment

I was just thinking after my post on here and I was wondering....

being you need help on here which we all agree on and it is also understood that most

of us on here do not want our personal information

made available for anyone else to see....

is it not possible to give new mods limited access....leaving out access to anything of

a personal nature regarding the members.....

and still have them help you with day to day things here on the forum?

I was hoping there would be a happy middle ground so you

get what you need so badly and we get to feel safe and comfortable being here.

Comment

At least we agree on one thing here. We want our personal information safe.

Comment

I am also a fan of the moderator position being an "invitation" position...but do understand the logic behind trying the application process, especially since administration will ultimately 'invite' members to become one after I presume a thorough review of all applications received from members....

I can also say that as a former moderator of two other previous sites that
                          The_Striker_25 is correct in saying that pretty much the only private data they can see is emails and IP addresses...information that is not really all that private and I would presume would be mostly safe in the hands of properly vetted individuals....I know I personally would not have any problem with anyone knowing my email or IP addresses...the worst they can do is spam/troll me if they so wished...But I highly doubt any selected, properly vetted individuals would have much interest in doing that.....

As to individuals who have had "issues" with others in the past, I presume part of the vetting and review process of applicants would take that into consideration...and the circumstances surrounding it.
                          After all....we are all human (I presume) and have all had problems/issues with at least one other member in the past...human nature don't you know....no one gets along with every single person out there....
                          The most important factor to be concerned with in this consideration is whether an individual carries a grudge forever and/or cannot let things go...forgive and/or forget if you will...again, another factor that should be looked at in the review process....

So to me, it seems the application process is a procedure on admins part to find out which members may have an interest in the position making it easier to select from the overall pool of members knowing who may be interested in the position....somewhat of a time saver for them Ö..

Just my thoughts on the subject....

Comment

What kind of information would you require from the applicants? Miniclip wanted the real names and physical addresses of their mods. Not in the beginning, but later on.

Who pays for the maintenance of the forum, will any costs fall on future mods?

Who are currently the people with mod rights and have access to members' personal information? Have the inactive mods really retired in a sense that they have no mod abilities any more?

Also, like Sunid says, I don't think there's much personal information to be viewed in addition to email addresses and IP's. One could always be nosy though and see what someone else is viewing, who they are talking to, etc. That should not be a problem unless... yes, someone has grudges, like Sunid says, and would like to reveal this kind of information to annoy another person.

Comment

Nobody on here truly knows anyone else on here....

a person who seems perfectly normal and nice may be one of those people

who actually does hold grudges and will not hesitate to wreck havoc

on an individual they had an issue with at one time.

If I wanted my email address known to anyone I would not have it in private settings....

I would put it out there for anyone to see.

This whole idea makes me uncomfortable .....to say the least .

Colin you are here....so lets get some feedback from you.

What are your thoughts?

Any ideas on how to make this idea more acceptable to all of us?

Comment

I have this question for Tetsumonchi . I heard this site was hacked . Would you give me 100% guarantee it will not happen again .?

Comment

Iíím at work at the moment but have read your replies and can promise that we will not do anything that we know will make people feel uncomfortable.

Iíll respond fully when I get home and also see if emails can be hidden to moderators, although Iím not sure if they can..

Comment

I have this question for Tetsumonchi . I heard this site was hacked . Would you give me 100% guarantee it will not happen again .?
                                    Hey hun, I think you may be confusing this forum with the original official Miniclip Forum which WAS hacked.

As far as I know, this one was created in response to the hacking and subsequent closure of that other forum and I don't
                                    believe anyone can ever give a 100% cast iron guarantee that they will never be hacked, but Colin stated in another
                                    thread that this forum already has a lot of protection in place.

Of course, all the protection in the world will be useless if the hack comes from within the staff, so I do hope that
                                    whoever is eventually chosen is very thoroughly vetted before being let loose upon us LOL

I should point out that for all my very many faults, one thing I am is completely honest and straightforward,
                                    so with reference to previous comments I am perfectly happy to state that I am the sort of person who
                                    does indeed bear grudges for all eternity.
                                    Due to my age I might even forget why I am angry with someone so I can't say I don't forgive and forget
                                    but I definitely never forgive.
                                    So it's safe to say that I would never, in a million years, make a good mod. Never, ever.
                                    I stand by my belief that anyone with "issues" with other members, whether current or historic, should not be considered
                                    as moderator material. I don't have a very optimistic opinion of "human nature".

Comment

Well.....with all that has been said here, I am not sure how it will be received by everyone...but I will say the following:

I consider myself a very honest person...

I have no clue in the world how to hack let alone have any desire to do so...

I never spam or troll...

I am here a LOT...and have no set schedule in real life...so can show up at just about any time....

I have had issues with more than one member over the years, but as a general rule, consider myself pretty level-headed and easy-going...it takes a lot to wind me up...

I may not always have the ability to 'forgive and forget'.....but I can overlook any differences I may have had with anyone....The Navy teaches you to do that...you may not like someone, but you still have to work with them in a civil and cooperative manner....

With all that said, I will throw my hat in the ring for consideration on one condition....if any member has a legitimate beef with me being one or having access to their 'private' info and posts as much, then I would not be comfortable in doing it.....
                                      If no one has any issue with me being designated/considered/invited to do it, I am willing to offer my services here....
                                      Last edited by Sunidhifan; 10-09-18, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanny Ogg View Post
                                        [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http/\/www.sherv.net\/cm\/emoticons\/sorry\/terribly-sorry-smiley-emoticon.gif"}[/IMG2]
                                        Hey hun, I think you may be confusing this forum with the original official Miniclip Forum which WAS hacked.

As far as I know, this one was created in response to the hacking and subsequent closure of that other forum and I don't
                                        believe anyone can ever give a 100% cast iron guarantee that they will never be hacked, but Colin stated in another
                                        thread that this forum already has a lot of protection in place.

Of course, all the protection in the world will be useless if the hack comes from within the staff, so I do hope that
                                        whoever is eventually chosen is very thoroughly vetted before being let loose upon us LOL

I should point out that for all my very many faults, one thing I am is completely honest and straightforward,
                                        so with reference to previous comments I am perfectly happy to state that I am the sort of person who
                                        does indeed bear grudges for all eternity.
                                        Due to my age I might even forget why I am angry with someone so I can't say I don't forgive and forget
                                        but I definitely never forgive.
                                        So it's safe to say that I would never, in a million years, make a good mod. Never, ever.
                                        I stand by my belief that anyone with "issues" with other members, whether current or historic, should not be considered
                                        as moderator material. I don't have a very optimistic opinion of "human nature".
                                        Yes you are right about getting them confused . Sorry Tetsumonchi.

Comment

Working...
                                        X