Forum back online -- what happened??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum back online -- what happened??

First of all, I'd just like welcome everybody back!

As most of you are aware, the forum was offline over the past few days. Here is what happened:

On Tuesday a security exploit was discovered within the software of vBulletin which some conscientous person decided to share with the wider internet community. Troublemakers with nothing better to do with their time then began using the exploit to commandeer vBulletin forums or inject malware into them and the servers that host them. Suddenly, overnight, vBulletin had become a risk to any hosting provider that happened to be hosting a vBulletin forum such as ours on its server. The Miniclip Fan Forum itself was not targeted but we were vulnerable and, had we faced an attack, any malware could have easily spread into our host's server and affected the rest of its client's websites. This risk factor is why our website was taken down: as a precaution.

vBulletin released a software update shortly thereafter which fixed the security loophole. We updated to the new (secure) version of vBulletin and also performed a full malware scan to make absolutely sure that the forum was clean. After performing a security scan of its own, our host was satisfied that our site was now fully secure and clean, so it resumed our hosting.

This article from an IT website explains the incident in more detail:
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...n_vbug_zeroday

I have been asked numerous times before whether out forum is 'secure'. The truth of it is that nothing is ever 100% full-proof online. Social media, banking, businesses, government and millitary websites developed by the best programmers in the country can all fall foul of hackers. However, I'd like to stress that every measure is taken to keep our own forum as secure as possible: including keeping our software up-to-date, using a reputable/responsible hosting company and being careful with our own internal administration of the site. What happened this week was a freak occurance that will not be able to happen again. We are as secure as it is reasonably possible for a web forum to be.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding while we resolved this issue.

Any questions? Don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    Tetsu

#forumnews

To get in touch, drop me a Private Message or Visitor Message.
    You can add me on Facebook as well
    http://www.facebook.com/Tetsumonchi

These days nothing is secure . In my country is known to get those scamming or hacking calls . The last thing i want to mention is that . I cannot get the private messages. I do not know why. It leaves it blank for me.

P:s I am glad we were not attacked. I hope nothing will happen in the near future . Thank you for your efforts too.

Comment

Thanks Tetsumonchi !

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah Girl View Post
        The last thing i want to mention is that . I cannot get the private messages. I do not know why. It leaves it blank for me.
        A side effect of the software update. I'll sort out this and any other issues in the days ahead.

Until then, if you go to your Message Center, you can still access all of your PMs.

To get in touch, drop me a Private Message or Visitor Message.
        You can add me on Facebook as well
        http://www.facebook.com/Tetsumonchi

Comment

Thank you Tetsumonchi

Comment

T
            O

TETSU:

I HAVE JUST

BAKED THESE CUPCAKES

FOR YOU TO SAY THANX

FOR RESOLVING

THIS LATEST ISSUE, AND

FOR ALWAYS

TAKING CARE OF US - YOU

REALLY ARE

THE CHERRY ON TOP OF

OUR FORUMS

!
            !
            !

Do everything with so much love in your heart that you would never want to do it any other way...

Comment

Thanks for getting it all back up and running Tetsu!

Is this why my admin status seems to have disappeared?
              Challenge my awesome scores
              http://www.miniclip.com/players/en/card/?uid=695147
              http://i.cubeupload.com/TUUxar.png

Comment

Woah, my admin status was removed also. Please fix!

Comment

Come on now, this was foretold back in January 2018, it’s hardly a surprise.

Comment

Nostradamus foretold it in one of his more obscure quatrains:

Such silly an affliction,
                    Internet addiction,
                    merrily, merrily, merrily,
                    Isn't life a dream!

Comment

A poor imitation, if I may say so.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsumonchi View Post
                        How do I change my rank?[*]thedoc70 - Moderator/Administrator - March 2010 - September 2012 (Mod), September 2012 - September 2019 (Admin)[*]Cheeseymonster - Moderator/Administrator - August 2011 - September 2012 (Mod), September 2012 - September 2019 (Admin)[/LIST]
                        “Last edited 01-01-2018”

Comment

Originally posted by Pick E View Post

“Last edited 01-01-2018”
                          thanks. Nice for them to actually bother telling me...

Challenge my awesome scores
                          http://www.miniclip.com/players/en/card/?uid=695147
                          http://i.cubeupload.com/TUUxar.png

Comment

Originally posted by Pick E View Post
                            Come on now, this was foretold back in January 2018, it’s hardly a surprise.
                            Wait, what...? Back in January 2018...

And why isn't my name in crimson, since I'm still the member of the year for two months and a half at least! The calendar is broken as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeseymonster View Post

thanks. Nice for them to actually bother telling me...
                              Are you missing count to 50?

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora View Post

Wait, what...? Back in January 2018...

And why isn't my name in crimson, since I'm still the member of the year for two months and a half at least! The calendar is broken as well.
                                Cheeseymonster, can you change the above poster’s username to ‘Crimson’, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X